In the rare instance something doesn't go quite right in the process, there are a few steps you can take if you have a question or problem:
- Contact your REALTOR®. Many situations can be resolved through open and frank communication.
- Contact your REALTOR®’s broker. Your concerns may not yet have been brought to the attention of the broker. Brokers welcome the opportunity to address concerns and to facilitate a continued good working relationship with you. Brokers are concerned with the reputations of their own offices, as such matters impact all REALTORS® who work there.
- Contact the RAE Industry Standards & Practice Department at 780.451.6666. They can help you determine the most appropriate action for your particular situation. Or they can help you to register a formal complaint, in cases where there is a perceived breach of the REALTORS® Code of Ethics or Standards of Business Practices.
- Contact the Real Estate Council of Alberta, which regulates the real estate industry, if there is an alleged violation of the Real Estate Act.
- Examples of complaints to be investigated by the Real Estate Council of Alberta are:
- fraudulent activities
- unlawful activities
- breach of fiduciary duties
- professional misconduct
For more information or if you have any questions, please call 780-451-6666.